HealthTalks is an Android app that started as my Master thesis project in late 2016, supervised by Professor Carla Teixeira Lopes. It transcribes summaries of medical appointments dictated by the physicians and, in each summary, it highlights and gives definitions for each medical term used. After my thesis, I was invited to keep working on this solution at INESC TEC.
This project was considered the second best MSc thesis in the Fraunhofer Portugal Challenge 2017 and I had the privilege of presenting it at CHIIR '18 in New Brunswick, USA. More information about the project can be found here.
- Make the app accessible to the elderly, since they are among those who need it the most while also being among the less technology literate users.
- Definition of the initial scope of the app by listing requirements (later expanded upon at INESC TEC).
- Creation of personas, user stories, and user journeys through brainstorming.
- Drawing of the initial wireframes, followed by high-fidelity mock-ups.
- Usability testing with 5 elderly volunteers, during which they were given 7 different scenarios to follow with a think-aloud protocol.
- Final iteration of the mockups, followed by implementation in Android.